Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Our Day At The Orchard




Oh how we loved this little trek into nature. Life in the desert does not afford too many opportunities to see green anything, much less green with things growing on it, so this was quite a treat. I have lived here for almost a year and a half and knew the orchard was here the whole time, but never thought it was worth my time to go because I had heard, from several sources, that the orhcard just did not offer much. But every mid summer I get the same urge--fall is just around the corner (or at least my internal clock says so. lol), and I want to connect with nature. So I looked up u-pick farms yesterday and the only one close was this shabby little orchard. We had a blast, and got a big bag full of apples, some green tomatoes, a few zucchini and some pears that I did not know were not ripe until we picked several. There were rumors that there were plums, but I did not see any, and the lady said they need another week or 2 anyway. And there are peaches! Rows and rows of hard little green peaches! I can't wait to pick them! The girl that greeted us at the front gate said they have been pesticide free for 10 years--wonderful! We will be going every payday as long as the produce is there. That's just too much nature and "country" for me to go any less often. I crave the connection to God's creation. Someday I will have my own little place to pick fresh food until my heart's content, but until then, Gilcrease orchard is a great opportunity to get that "fix" and to teach my kids that food comes from FARMS, not grocery store shelves.
(forgive the "hazey" look of the first 2 photos, they were taken with a very broken point and shoot digital. the last one was with my SLR)

6 comments:

Heather said...

oh that is great Stephanie... I really should look up (and go!) to some u-pick farms around here!!!

Cherishing My Days said...

heather, there is a site--pickyourown.org that lists u-pick farms. i bet there are some GREAT ones where you are!!

Luke said...

You can help reduce haze in your pictures by opening them in Photoshop (or GIMP... it's free) and playing with the Levels.

Don't change the Master, but instead adjust the Red, Green, and Blue individually. Slide the little arrows on the right and left under the graph until they are in line with where the slope starts to go up.

Hmm... hard to explain in words. Hope that helps and isn't just totally confusing.

~Luke

Cherishing My Days said...

thanks, luke!
i'll have to check that out! i need to get a new point and shoot digital. mine has a cracked screen and now takes horrible pics.
stephanie

judy kay said...

I LOVE U-Pick farms. Can't wait for our apples to be ready!! Right now I'm loving all the berries...

Cherishing My Days said...

judy kay,
OH! how i miss the east coast and berry picking! lol!