Saturday, August 16, 2008

I Love Canning!


Plum jam

Apple butter and applesauce

Ever since I started making use of the local orchard with it's plentiful and oh so available produce , I knew that canning was in my future. I have avoided canning for awhile. I'm not sure why. Maybe it just seemed like such a process to me. Maybe I felt like reading about and learning yet another new skill just seemed so overwhelming. Probably a little of both of those things. lol. But I am so glad I finally just did it! It really is alot easier than I ever thought it would be. And I do not have all the fancy equipment. I do have the canning jars, but for the boiling pot I just use a deep pasta pot, and set the jars down in the water before it's hot, so it can come up to temperature with the water. I also use cooking (grill) tongs and a spatula for getting the jars out when they're done. lol. Maybe it would be easier to get the actual equipment, but certainly not cheaper!


So my resources were:


for apple butter and apple sauce

And:


for plum jam.


I think I have all the apple products I need for the winter, but I do want to go get some more plums for more jams and chutney, and also for freezing, and then next
up from the orchard--peaches! I think with apples and paches I will make pie filling and can that, so then it will be super easy to make pies this winter!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

OOOh! I just found your blog. Don't know why it took so long, but I'm glad I did! I also love canning, but haven't done it that much. Aren't the jars so pretty when they are finished?

Cherishing My Days said...

oh, i am glad to see you here, jenn!
i agree, the jars are SO pretty after being canned. pregnancy has put a stop to anything food related for me for now, but i REALLY got into it there for awhile!