Wednesday, August 27, 2008

What a Blessing Homeschooling Is


This is an unposed picture. I told my girls it was time to get their readers and read the next 2 chapters and outside they went, sitting silently beside each other in the driveway.

You can find a myriad of websites about the laws of homeschooling, studies on how homeschoolers excel, opinions on why homeschooling is best. I am no expert on all those things, so I just thought I'd share some of the reasons we homeschool:

*The ability to follow Deuteronomy 6:7 in it's most literal sense:

"And thou shalt teach them diligently to thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up". This verse, is of course, talking about the principles of the Lord.

I went to school--a small private Christian school all my life. You would think that would have been the best of everything--Bible based education, Christian teachers--some of whom included our pastor, good influences for the most part. I did not become a party girl, did well in my studies and was over all a good student. But even this ideal situation did not afford me alot of time with my parents. I do not feel that they got alot of time to follow Deuteronomy 6:7. My dad did not even see me when I rose up, and we NEVER "walked in the way". My dad did not even factor into my day much at all. And this is not to fault them--back then not much of anyone was homeschooling and our church had a school, so that's just what everyone did. But the fact is, that if my kids spend 6-8 hours a day under a teacher who cannot even mention the Bible to them, then they have received a godless education. This takes up most of the day, every day. And if my kids go to a Christian school (admittedly a better option than the former), they might get a Biblical education, but I do not see where the Bible calls me to send my kids to someone else all day to get taught the Bible. Scripture teaches that this is the parents' job, and never is there a better opportunity in which to teach our kids the Lord's way than in homeschooling.

**I* am their influence.

The hard fact is that whomever our kids spend the most time with will be their influence. Couple that with the fact that friends do not discipline each other, and you have the formula for your child's preferring his friends over you. I did! I did not care half as much what my parents thought on any given subject as much as I did what my friends thought! If my kids are influenced towards evil, I should not blame the school system, or society, or Hollywood. The buck stops with me . If I choose to give that influence to someone else, I still cannot blame anyone but myself because I have the power to choose what influences affect my kids. We ALL choose, whether by choosing well or not.

*I am selfish! lol.

I want my kids with ME. I want to be the one who teaches them to read. I want to see the moment the lightbulb comes on. I am fully invested in their education--both of the Lord and of the world. I can no more fathom giving that away to someone else. I have done it before and I will never do it again. Life with my little ones is too precious and too short!

5 comments:

Luke said...

Fantastic picture!

~Luke

Cherishing My Days said...

thanks, luke!
the books they are reading are "More Stories from Grandma's Attic" and "The Last Little Cat", BTW! lol!

My Inspired Heart said...

Love your ideas here, and I totally agree! After being a graduate of the PS system, I knew that if there was any way possible...my kids would never have to endure those same awful learning conditions. And, thankfully, they haven't.

I have always wanted my kids with me...although most people I know still don't "get" it. I like for my kids to be near me, I like to see them learn, I like to know that I haven't completely missed their childhoods by sending them off to school for 8 hours a day.

I also know that this way of life is not for everyone, I've seen others who tried to "convert" from a busy, "working" lifestyle to stay home and care for kids to end up face down in a major depression. I suppose the foundational reasons are just not there for some.

But, like you, I want my children to not be afraid to use the name of God or Jesus in their everyday life and not to be afraid to pray and to follow the golden rule. I wanted God to be a natural part of their everyday life, just as He should be. I want to do the best job I can as a parent in the eyes of God....and for me, that meant keeping them home with me as their main influence. I wouldn't do it any other way and I wouldn't change a thing! :)

randi---i have to say said...

Your post is so encouraging. We have homeschooled for many years and I am so uplifted by your reminder as to "why"! The Deuteronomy verse is one of my favorites!

And I LOVE the photo!

Cherishing My Days said...

thank you, sandra and randi! it's good to get encouragement from those who get where i am coming from!
stephanie