Sunday, December 14, 2008

We're Moved In


Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes for our move. We got in the house Thursday and have been busily at work with trying to get it set up and ready for celebrating and for family visits. Within the next 2 weeks we have hubby's dad and my uncle stopping by, so there's no time for resting on our laurels!

We did manage to get our Christmas tree up. We were all so excited to get such a big tree with these vaulted ceilings we have. And my goodness, does it smell good. For years I have been wondering about the Christmas tree tradition. It is the only thing we do that even slightly resembles a pagan celebration that Christianity has replaced with a celebration of the Lord's birth. I enjoy celebrating the Lord's first coming. What a majestic and awesome night that must have been! The Christmas story read from the Bible is one of my favorites in all of Scripture. But still, I wonder about this tree in our living room. I do not celebrate it, or worship it. It's basically a beautiful part of God's creation that brings the warm fuzzies of celebrating with family rushing back every year. I know my husband would never be on board with this crazy idea of mine (not having a Christmas tree), l and I would SO miss it's beauty, but it has been in the back of my head since I was about 10 and had a friend who celebrated Christmas without the tree. In any case, I pray you all have a wonderful season full of joy and peace at the remembrance of the Lord's loving sacrifice for all of us.

ETA: LOL! I just love the way the Lord works! Our pastor preached on this very thing today. His message definitely answered some of my questions and put my uneasiness at rest. This whole Christmas tree issue was not one I was convicted about all year, so I had never researched it extensively (only a little at this time of year). My pastor, however, had! He had read books, searched the Bible, etc. I so thank the Lord for the office of pastor. It's literally these mens' job to seek out truth on issues that I may never have the time to. I had never heard anyone comprehensively preach about this stuff from the pulpit, either, so I was very glad to be able to hear a message about it.

2 comments:

rebecca said...

I'm so glad that you got moved before Christmas! I hope you have a blessed one, and enjoy your new home!

Cherishing My Days said...

thanks rebecca! i hope you guys have a great Christmas too. i love this time of year!