Friday, January 2, 2009

In the Spirit of the New Year

As much as I love the holidays--the warmth against the chill outside, getting together with family, eating good food and just generally enjoying the season, I have to admit to being just as happy and a little relieved when all the festive decorations have been taken down, even if it means in place of the tree sits this big, empty space that we've never known because we got our Christmas tree as soon as we moved in. It gives us a chance to really survey our home, noticing it's needs and giving it a good cleaning. I also love the chance to get a new start in other areas, moving ahead with clear-headedness and resolve, accomplishing the things that the Lord has impressed on me, my husband has requested, or just the things that I know should be done. Here is Jackson, taking the star off our VERY crispy tree. You know a tree is dead when it hurts the take the lights off of it. Ah, the desert.

I never realized how incredibly hard it is to take a self pic in the mirror. You should see all the angles I got. So this may not be the best, most talent-rich picture I've ever taken, but it's an okay shot of my hair, which I just got cut into a shorter, more manageable and healthier style. My husband has been laughing at my hair quite a bit lately. Laughing in a kind of way that says "I love you *despite* that hair". And the other night he said he was going to "help me spend some of my Christmas money", and told me to make a hair appointment. So, I am on my way towards being more in line with ONE of my new year's goals from my last post--pleasing my husband with my appearance. He really loves this cut. I shouldn't be surprised--my dad and mom, pretty much the entire family I grew up with likes my hair shorter rather than longer. And it's not really that I blame them--my hair grows with a sort of "halo" of frizz and underneath lies this weird combination of ringlets, waves, and a few stick straight pieces. So, as much as I would love to have long, Cindy Crawford hair, it's just not in the genes for me. Mine is more like Michael Bolton hair, before the appropriate haircut. For right now at least, I am accepting my hair lot in life and keeping it contained.
I hope you and your families have a great, productive year full of blessings and listening to the Lord's voice. Happy New Year!!

6 comments:

Cup of Joe with three sugars said...

so cute, Steph! You go, girl!

Cherishing My Days said...

thanks, jess! :)

rebecca said...

I love your hair!

Cherishing My Days said...

thanks, rebecca!

My Inspired Heart said...

Cute, cute haircut!

Manda said...

Happy New Year, Steph! Your hair looks very cute! :)