Friday, January 30, 2009

Proverbs 31:2

What, my son? and what, the son of my womb? and what, the son of my vows?"

I guess I should have said yesterday that these are my thoughts--what the Lord has pressed on MY heart about these verses. I am not Biblical authority, nor should my words be taken as gospel. There, now with that out of the way....

This mother is considering her words. Carefully weighing what she should say to her son, who, one might assume, she knew was to become king, or already was king. She is showing him how much she loves him by calling him "the son of her womb"--"my baby boy" we might say today. She was also showing him how much she wanted her words to stick with him by calling him "the son of her vows", The son who she had from her marriage, the one she prayed over, maybe even the one she petitioned God for like Hannah. She is reminding her son how much she cares for him so that he will take her words to heart.

This so reminds me that I need to make sure everyday that my children know how much I love them so that they know my instruction comes from a place of love and concern, not one of a tyrant trying to control. It reminds me of a quote that I heard and I have no idea who said it: "Without relationship there is rebellion". People are much more likely to rebel against someone who they feel is just trying to dictate their every move, rather than someone who has shown them their love. I think of the benevolent king who shows love and concern for his people. He wins the hearts of his people this way. The selfish, disconnected king distances people from him and opens his rule up to dissent. I'm not royalty, nor do I walk around acting like it, but I think this principle applies to the home. I do not want my children to obey for my own sake, I want them to obey so they can obey God. If they cannot obey me who they CAN see, they will not obey God whom they can't. But I have to make sure my kids know my motives--that my instruction comes from a place of love, and not just a place of wanting them to shutup and leave me alone, or do their chores so I don't have to, or that I am saying "no" to something simply because I do not want to mess with allowing them to do it. I must say, I am probably guilty of all these things. I get tired, I get EXHAUSTED, really. Sometimes I DON'T want to mess with their requests. But that makes me an evil king, of sorts. And I think it might just breed rebellion in my kids' hearts. So I need to make sure my precious children know just where my instruction comes from--a heart of love and concern for their souls and their futures.

4 comments:

Cup of Joe with three sugars said...

Good thoughts, Steph. Just wanted you to know Im enjoying your take on this great passage. Have a wonderful day!

Cherishing My Days said...

thanks, jess! i thought i'd be reaching to find anything to talk about in these first few verses, but wow--they really are very rich! i'm amazed to find what even familiar passages offer when studied. Scripture is amazing!

Manda said...

thanks for the food for thought, Steph...good insights! and I agree that Scripture is amazing!

Cherishing My Days said...

thanks, manda! it's hard to put my thoughts and convictons out there for all to read, but this really is more of a "study journal" for myself and i am learning so much!