Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Proverbs 31:13

"She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

OH! I love this verse too! lol. I am so enjoying this chapter.

This is a trait of an excellent wife that I have only recently come to adopt. In the summer of 2007 I just got the urge to start sewing again after 15 years. My mom had taught me to sew, but I was a stubborn, impatient girl and just got through projects enough to say I could finish it. I decided sewing was just not for me! And I did not look at a sewing machine again after high school until a year and a half ago (the brief exception being when my husband needed something sewn on his uniform. I was not very gracious about doing it, either). I think what got me started again was just the desire to feel domestic. Yes, I was a homeschool mom who makes nutritious food from scratch, but somehow I did not feel that completed my role. Now, I am not saying that a woman who does not sew is not fulfilling her role! Not at all. I understand some people have the desire for the skill and some do not. I did not for a LONG time, and do not believe I was in sin of any kind. I AM saying, however, that sewing, working with my hands, seeking fabric, furnishing my home with homemade goods that would have cost possibly hundreds of dollars at the store (I like Pottery Barn, what can I say? lol.) , thereby stretching our household income even further, DOES make me feel like more of a woman. Like I am doing my family good, like I am more aware of my femininity, and funny enough, like I am closer to what an old fashioned woman would have been. It's just made me more comfortable in my skin.

I think I needed maturity to come back to this renaissance skill. I need the ability to be able to sit still and not blow up at every mistake. And I am so thankful that verses like these are in the Bible to show me that being domestic is a GOOD, even desirable thing.

2 comments:

Manda said...

Hey Steph, I just got caught up on your Prov. 31 study and am enjoying your reflections...thanks for posting! Hope you're feeling well!

Cherishing My Days said...

thanks, manda! :)