Monday, February 16, 2009

Proverbs 31:14

"She is like the merchants' ships; she bringeth her food from afar."

I like the local food movement. I think it's pretty common sense that food grown close to home tends to have more nutrients. I also think the argument can be made that "bringing her food from afar" in the Bible did not mean what it does today. The world was much smaller then and "food from afar" was probably much more local than our food is today. Regional is probably about as far as their food traveled.

However, God's Word being God's Word and all, I like to still apply this principle to my life. I seek out the healthiest food we can afford in our region, and I go out and bring it in. Sometimes all we can afford is the grocery store closest to us. But I must say I LOVE to go to Utah to bring in raw milk. I love going to whole foods and Trader Joe's to get what they offer, because it's usually SO much better than what my local grocery offers (and by local I mean ONLY in location, not in what they offer. Fruit from Chile is not local). And most of all, I love when the spring and summer come, if only because our local orchard opens up. Here, in the middle of the desert, we have our own bounty of offerings straight from the tree or bushes. It is an awesome thing to take my children to this place where they can learn where food REALLY comes from--God grows it on trees--rather than that it regenerates on grocery store shelves overnight. I love watching them pick, learn about, and eat fruit fresh from the tree. It's usually hotter than blazes out there, but somehow the desert summer heat just isn't a big deal anymore when you're frolicking among ripe fruit. lol.

So that is our "bringing food from afar". Seeking out the best deals on the healthiest food can be quite a full time job!

1 comment:

Cup of Joe with three sugars said...

Your post is making me dream about going blueberry and strawberry picking again. I agree, there is just something so satisfying about eating the fruit of your labor. yummy!!! We just love our local orchards. God is so creative... so many delicious fruits and vegies to chose from. :o)