Friday, February 20, 2009

Proverbs 31:16

"She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard."

At least one thing is clear from Proverbs 31--this is one industrious woman!

She is a business woman of sorts--going out and buying land, and then planting a vineyard on it. It does not say she asked her husband's permission. It says she goes and considers it (Prays about it? Talks it over with her husband?) and then buys it. This passage has already made it clear that her husband's heart trusts her, so maybe he did not expect her to ask him about it. Very interesting to think about and consider all the implications of how this might have happened.

Nevertheless, this woman is purposeful in her goals. She knows what she is after and she goes and gets it. Sounds like today's career woman, no? You know the difference I see between Mrs. Proverbs 31 and the modern career woman? She put her family first. None of the things she has done so far in this chapter, nor the things she will do later on have to be done without her family. These are not things she does day in, day out, away from her primary responsibilities of keeping her house and being with her children. I could do research on real estate, go see it, buy it--the whole schmere--and still leave my responsibilities as wife and mother intact. As a homeschooling mom I see that as one of the best thing about mine and my childrens' life together--my ability to take them practically everywhere with me, so that I can always be their guide, and so that they may learn about life. Real life includes things like buying groceries, houses, cars, ministering to others, keeping house, learning marketable skills. These are all things my children learn by being with me and my husband so much.

The older I get and the more children I have, the more convicted I am that homeschooling and family oriented life is what God created us for. Not just for women, but for men too. Men's leaving their families to go acquire a paycheck is a relatively new way of life in the historical context. My husband leaves us for at least 10 hours a day 5 days a week right now, but we ultimately want to work towards a day when he can be home much more than he is now. However, I am thankful that *I* am free to stay with my children. We are happy at home. Yet, "being home" does not require that stay within these four walls. It means that I have the privilege of teaching my children about how life is really lived, all that it entails. Surverying and buying land is just one of the fun things that I hope to get to do with them all in tow someday.

No comments: