Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Proverbs 31:17

"She girdeth her loins with strength, And maketh strong her arms"

I love this verse. Along with the verses where Paul uses races as analogies, this verse shows how deliberate we should be about strengthening our bodies and staying healthy physically. Is it the most important thing in the world? No. And I seriously doubt this woman was obsessed with her own fitness--nor did she probably have to be with how hard she worked. The Bible says that physical strengthening helps, but like everything in this world, it's temporal. However, for our health, which is afterall what allows us to take care of our families, we *should* be physically active. The woman in Proverbs 31 was a VERY busy woman. But she still made time to strenthen her arms and body. She was concerned about her family enough that she put her own strength on her priority list.

Applying this principle is, admittedly, not the easiest thing in the world for me to find time for. I have to perfectly time dinner to have enough time to go for a walk between dinner and the little one's bed time. But I DO make it a priority. I do not throw a fit if I cannot get "my time" in, and no, it does not happen every night. But I find that if I let my husband know when he comes home that my plan is to go for a walk after dinner, he is more than willing to accomodate me, and even reminds me with a "Did you want to go for your walk now?" when everyone is fed. The fact is the my wise husband knows it is good for everyone if I get a little fresh air a few times a week. And I am sure it makes me a little more attractive when I have that glow about me.

Let me encourage you to put getting fit on your list as things that need to be done a few times a week. Walking is the most natural exercise, and is a great stress reliever too.

4 comments:

Cup of Joe with three sugars said...

Steph,
Does walking the mall count? In 20 something degree weather, I have NO desire to put on my heavy coat, hat, gloves, scarf, and winter boots to trudge around in the heavy clothing like an abominable snowwoman and STILL feel cold. Feb. is the month that most Northerners wonder what ever kept them from moving elsewhere. ;o) Thank goodness Spring is around the corner! (ps...your right, walking is great. Not only for the body, but for the mama's sanity. lol)

Sandra - My Inspired Heart said...

Well, this is the morning I needed to read this! Today is the day....the day for me to start over. I was doing so good until Thanksgiving last year, lol! I seemed to have kept up my holiday habits and I'm not to happy with myself right now :-/ However, today is a new day....new attitude, new eating habits (or, back to the old ones that worked), new walking regimen. That's the plan ;-)

Thanks for putting these thoughts out there...I needed it!

Cherishing My Days said...

jess--sure! mall walking in frigid weather certainly counts! lol. this is the time of year most of those who live in warmer climates are glad we do. the trees are already starting to bloom and it's going to be 70 degrees this week. however, talk to me in july when i can't catch my breath it's so hot. ugh.

sandra--go you! i know--sometimes it takes a renwed priority list to get things done--anything! and putting anything that ahs to do with our own bodies up there at the top, including eating, is TOUGH to do. but i keep reminding myself that i am not demanding a mani-pedi every week. lol. it's exercise or food or sleep--necessary stuff!

Cup of Joe with three sugars said...

70's? Ahhhh, dreaming about it. lol The hot-cant-catch-your-breath thing does remind me how good we have it in August. Good thing is that you will have had your baby by then! :o) When is your due date? I want to mark it on my calendar so I start covering you in prayer those last weeks. Every pregnant woman needs prayer at the end! lol