Friday, February 27, 2009

Proverbs 31:18

"She perceiveth that her merchandise is good: her candle goeth not out by night."

This was the verse that my friend Casey suggested to me for the name of my Etsy shop "Lamplight Boutique". It speaks volumes about being a savvy businesswoman when one can objectively judge their merchandise and tell if it's good or not. The Proverbs 31 woman decided that hers was good, the gain from it was good, and she put her hand to working into the night to produce more gain for her family. I doubt she stayed up ALL night because the Bible does not teach sleep deprivation, but the concept here seems to be that she used her time wisely and got things done that needed to be done.

I can learn so much from this as sometimes I am going full steam ahead with getting things done, and am more like the woman in this passage, and other times I am sitting here at the computer staring and doing nothing but...clicking. If I can learn nothing else from this woman it's consistency in my work. Sometimes I really wish I did not live in these modern times with all the distractions of this day. I think I'd get more done. But then I realize that it's all about discipline. I am sure this woman could have occupied herself with more frivolous things--sitting around, gossiping with the neighbors, letting her servants do all the work, but she didn't. She was faithful to work and had a good name for it. I thank the Lord for her example.

2 comments:

Cup of Joe with three sugars said...

Very catchy name..with Godly meaning, to boot!

Cup of Joe with three sugars said...

By the way,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, STEPH!!!!!

ok, its a week late, but my wishes are still the same. :o) Hope you got to enjoy your day. God is good to give us yet another year with our children, hubby, and loved ones. You are celebrated!!!