Saturday, March 28, 2009

Proverbs 31:27

"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness."

This is such a good verse! Goodness, these last ones have made me feel like I am in a field of gems laying all around me. I do not even have to dig, they are just out there for the taking.

I feel like most of the time I look as well to the ways of my household as I can, but it's still not enough. I try not to spend too much time on here, I get my kids educated, my house relatively clean, people fed, etc. But there are times when I'd have to admit to eating the bread of idleness.

Pregnancy is a necessary time of rest, so it's not that I am saying I am lazy for wanting to sit every once in awhile (more like once every blue moon!). What I am saying is that when I just can't seem to get the motivation to get up and stopping clicking on my mouse, simply because I do not have motivation--well, THAT is the bread of idleness. What about TV? I do not have a problem with it anymore--as I've said before, the Lord has used my role as wife and mother of many to refine me. Being a mom to my kids has pushed TV right out of my life during the day. lol. My husband and I do enjoy wantching a few shows together during the week, and I do not consider that the bread of idleness. But anything that would have me sitting around doing other much less important things than being my husband's wife and my kids' mom could cross that line into plain laziness. Notice I said COULD. I would hate to imply that having a hobby or simply enjoying a good novel is always sinful. I do not live like a monk. However, I find that I have to watch things that I enjoy doing because I could easily spend half the day doing them, while my kids sit and watch TV. "Idle hands are the Devil's workshop" is never more true a saying than when you are talking about toddlers and boys. They need to stay busy because idleness just gets them into trouble.

Another thought I had--this could very easily apply to eating out of boredom! "The bread of idleness", in fact, sounds JUST like eating because one is bored. Oh, that's a good one to chew on. Strengthening one's body is the opposite of sitting around munching out of boredom. I do not have time for that anymore, either, but I used to, so I know I am capable of it. Thank you, Lord, for this verse!

2 comments:

Manda @ Lambs In His Arms said...

Interesting thought about overeating...did you mean to say the "chocolate of idleness"...?

this is a great verse; thanks for examining it!

Cherishing My Days said...

lol, manda. yes, chocolate of idleness could definitely apply in my life at times!