Monday, May 18, 2009

Our Baby's Diaper Bag

These pictures are all out of order, but I need to go clean some bathrooms, so here they are. The Strap. I covered up the ugly finishing by folding it under and sewing it that way. I rather like the way it turned out.

This bag is made from two Anna Maria Horner fabrics. The outer is from her new Good Folks line and the inner is from her first line called Bohemian. I know, I know--it's quite the combo, but all the colors go and I already had this fabric here, so instead of having to buy $40 worth of fabric to make this bag, I had to pay nothing more than I already had. Shopping in your own sewing closet pays off!

Finished product


After deciding Saturday that we did, indeed, need a diaper bag (because carrying water bottles for everyone is a must in Las Vegas in the summer), I embarked on what seemed to be an innocent enough pattern. Oh boy. I think I am just super impatient or not such a good seamstress, but while Amy Butler's Nappy Bag pattern starts--and almost ends--easy and straight-forward enough, that all changes when one wants to finish the strap. Between the contortions I had to put myself and the bag through to get the strap done and my poor 36 year old sewing machine that is in great need of a tune up, I thought I would have to say that the bag won. But I gritted my teeth (at the bag and everyone around me. Insert black eye here), and MADE THE THING DO WHAT I WANTED. lol. Such is the determination of a pregnant woman about to give birth without a diaper bag.
I am very happy I made this bag. It's super cute, very roomy and would have cost me a fortune to buy. It has a total of 8 pockets on the interior, which means I have enough room for everyone's water bottles, plus plenty of room for baby's needs in the center. Yay!!

4 comments:

Cup of Joe with three sugars said...

Oh my goodness, you are so industrious! I love your baby's diaper bag...very chic. And such cute skirts. Gosh, all i was doing the day before Natalie was born is cry. Crazy hormones! lol Cant wait to see pics of your pretty baby!

Erin said...

Its beautiful!! Happy "birth day"!!!

Cup of Joe with three sugars said...

I keep checking back for pics. So excited to see your pretty girl! Congrats to you all and praying that you and baby are doing awesome! :o)

Cherishing My Days said...

hey jess!
i posted an update. all went well. thanks for the prayers!