Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Frolicking in Nature...Again

I know this may get tiresome for some, but the tingly feeling I get when we get to go to the orchard never goes away.

Yesterday morning when we went we could FINALLY feel the desert heat letting up, perhaps signaling that fall is, indeed, on it's way. Not that it will look any differently here than it normally does, but I must say, falls here bring sublime weather--what I picture most pleasant summers to be. lol. Maybe this is just in my head, but I picture summers up north to be a season in which one might actually laze about and enjoy oneself without feeling like death from heat exhaustion might be lurking around the corner waiting to pounce. In my head, kids play in actual water while parents sleepily watch from a hammock hung between two actual trees.

But then I come back from my dreamy state to find this staring up at me from her cocoon, and I decide being ANYwhere with her is pretty dreamy all on it's own.

So the point of this post was to show what we did with our 26--yes, 26--lbs of apples. well, what we did with one of those pounds, anyway! I read this delightful book and then made an apple cake. So not quite a pie, but all the same ingredients.

It's just as good as it looks. Sorta like upside down pineapple cake with apples. MOIST does not describe it. Got the recipe from here, but had to use honey instead because I had no sugar:
It was just the thing to celebrate almost-fall. :)
Now I'm off to peel apples until my fingers fall off and make apple butter and applesauce and apple muffins and apple bars and, oh yes! apple pie and.......

2 comments:

myinspired♥{sandra} said...

Love this! And I also LOVE that book....my kids and I were reading it last fall and enjoyed every minute of it - the pie, too! :)

Cherishing My Days said...

thanks, sandra! it is a fun book!