Monday, March 1, 2010

Matters of Domesticity


Well, it's been almost two months since my last post. I've been a little busy with all manner of home-keeping. And a little bit of school--okay, quite alot of school, for both the kids and me.

I got the sewing bug again after finding Samantha's patterns over at TheHandmadeDress.net. I have messed up the pictures, but the very top one of this post is from a pattern called "Miss Madeline". It's quite easy and produces very cute results! The one above is just a pillowcase dress. There are many tutorials for these all over the internet.

We started a garden! I have wanted to do this for no less than five years, but my fear of bugs has kept me from doing it. I have decided to face the fear head on and just do it. There's not alot that brings more joy than growing real food with children. It really makes me appreciate God in yet another way.
These are our strawberry plants, but we have also planted sunflowers (in the blog picture above), morning glories, raspberries, blackberries, carrots, tomatoes, lavender, rosemary, and mesclun lettuce. All but the lavender have started growing little shoots! It's so exciting!

I got this book over the weekend:
http://www.amazon.com/Toad-Cottages-Shooting-Stars-Grandmas/dp/0761150439/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267481284&sr=8-1
Yes, it's a book for grandmas, but I don 't care. It is the coolest little book ever! I have ordered another one by the same author called "Roots, Shoots, Buckets and Boots", and look forward to getting it too!
Happy, productive March to you!

6 comments:

Sharon Lovejoy said...

Well this must be my lucky day! Your wonderful blog post was forwarded on to me and I SO APPRECIATE what you said about my new book Toad Cottages & Shooting Stars. You made my week.

What I always hope is that my books will be useful and give joy. I hope you like Roots Shoots Buckets & Boots too.

Keep up your great life-work.

Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

Cherishing My Days said...

Well what a pleasure and a surprise! Thanks so much for commenting on my blog, Sharon! :) I will be getting Toad Coattages and Shotting Stars for my mom for Mother's Day also. I appreciate your creativity!

little dresses said...

The dresses are beautiful! Great job!

xoxo,
Samantha

Cherishing My Days said...

Thanks, Samantha! I'm honored you've visited my blog! :)

Cup of Joe with three sugars said...

Hi Steph!

My sister and I were inspired also. :o) We are thinking of trying the pillow case dress together for our girls. I showed her what talent you have in mixing the fabrics. Thats the fun of the fabric store... so many choices! Hugs from CT! Hope you are all well and enjoying all the joy that Spring brings!

Cherishing My Days said...

Hey Jess!
Good to hear from you. I so want pictures when you guys finish the dresses! :)