Thursday, October 21, 2010

Sewing for the Baby

It's that time again in the Campbell household: preparing for a new baby. Now that I am done with classes I am going full steam ahead trying to get the kids squared away with their schooling, pulling my house's organization together, and sewing for the new little one. This newest project is called The Patchwork Sleep Sack, and it's from Anna Maria Horner's newest book Handmade Beginnings. I have also made the Quick Change Trousers, which are adorable.
I must admit, this pattern almost kicked my rear and took me all day to make. This is not due to Anna Maria's instructions which, once I could get my brain to follow them are very clear, but undoubtedly to my foggy pregnant brain, and the fact that patterns and I do not get along. I have a fundamental problem manipulating them. For this reason I generally sew things free hand. I just could not pass up the opportunity to make this sweet pattern, though! Since I do not quilt, I simply cut out my front piece of fabric in the dimensions the book says to use for a quilted panel.
The fabric is also from Anna Maria Horner (ok, yes, she's my favorite fabric designer). This is from her Folksy Flannels line and OH. MY. GOSH. This fabric is SO soft. It's nothing at all like the flannel you get at large fabric stores. This is good stuff. And the colors are so brilliant! I look forward to being able to snuggle our sweet baby in this ultra soft, very warm sleep sack.

6 comments:

Cup of Joe with three sugars said...

I always love your choice of fabrics. Great job, Steph. You make me want to feel the sleep sack when you talk about how soft it is. :o)

Cherishing My Days said...

Thanks, Jess! :)

Shannon said...

Just beautiful!! I can't wait to learn how to sew as good as you!

Cherishing My Days said...

Thanks, Shannon!
But don't let the fabrics fool ya. I'm really not THAT good at this. I think Anna Maria Horner's fabrics could make a trash bag look good. :P

Shannon said...

Steph, where do you purchase her fabrics from?

Cherishing My Days said...

It depends on who has the best price. I've gotten mine from Quilthome.com (up there in WA state), Fabric.com, from little shops on Etsy.com (type in her name to the search bar). I just got the voile from HawthorneThreads.com because they had a great price. Sign up for Trueup.net's sale alert Fridays. It's a great resource!