Monday, March 19, 2012

Grain-Free (not sugar free) Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

They may look like oatmeal cookies, but they taste like nutty peanut butter chocolate chip.
They're a little good. :)

I'vee been working on taking my entire family grain free since 1) they're a completely unnecessary source of very concentrated carbohydrates and 2)at least a few of my children seem to have belly aches way too often. So I have started with breakfast and snacks. They are grain free, even though there has been much complaining. They'll get used to it. :) Plus, eating things like yogurt and berries or eggs and cheese is not hurting anyone. Ok, the recipe!

Grain Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Preheat oven to 350

Mix until creamy:
3/4 cup real butter
1/2 packed brown sugar
1/2 granulated sugar
1/2 peanut butter

Add and mix until creamy:
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

Mix in:
2 to 2.5 cups almond flour--this will depend on your environment and how much it takes to make your dough less mushy (or almonds ground in a food processor--watch out! It will turn to almond butter if ground too much)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Mix in:
12 oz chocolate chips--I used bittersweet for less sugar

Dough will be pretty loose, but that's why the lower baking temperature than most other cookies, so they can cook slower to become more solid. These cookies do come part easier than others, but they are delicious and keep their shape reasonably well. These have a nutty, chewy texture, and all my kids (even the nut haters) gobbled them up.

(Now the mean stuff: this is my recipe, so while its ok if you repost and distribute it, make sure you give credit where credit is due. Thanks!)

5 comments:

Shannon said...

Sounds delicious, and I will have to try making a batch once I get my hands on almond flour. Strangely enough, I was reading Wellness Mama's blog today, and really considering taking myself off of wheat. Hubby won't go for it, but perhaps I should try for myself and see if I feel better. Hum... :) Are you noticing any difference since going grain-free? Please give me some suggestions for breakfast. Unfortunately, we are kind of cereal addicts. We do eat eggs and bacon and oatmeal too, but cereal is a huge hit around here.

Cherishing My Days said...

Hey Shannon!
You know the huge difference I see, just from going grain free for breakfast for now? Less hunger. And the biggest change is in the kids! I used to not be able to get through an hour without a kid falling at my feet claiming they would die without a morsel of something. Now they don't! Like they are actually satisfied or something.

Cherishing My Days said...

As far as what to eat: this morning we had nitrite free sausage, yogurt and applesauce (not all together, that's just what was available).

Amy and Cat said...

Don't let Stephanie fool you with that "that's just what was available" line, Shannon. She has a "magic pantry"....and don't let her tell you otherwise!! :)

I've also gone grain-free for sometime now...and really don't miss it a bit. Now, I will have a bit of bread with my bruschetta recipe every now and then (once a month), but that's about it. Almond flour, although pricey (at least for me), makes just about any of my baking reciepes tastier --- but it is a challenge in regards to getting the texture correct -- so it will hold together. It is super yummy on cobblers....

Cherishing My Days said...

Ha, Amy. "magic pantry"--you crack me up!
We have gone grain free a few times--mostly just Hope and me. Now I want the whole family on board. Since my experience tells me the easiest time to change my diet is when there is another life change gong on simultaneously, that's when we'll do the last phase--dinner. I want our new house to be grain free from the get go, which will make it easier to start anew with a new routine. I did not know you were grain free! Go you! I love how I feel on it. Skinnier, even if I'm not. Lol.