Saturday, August 11, 2012

My Sister

Her birthday is this month. She is a wonderful girl with a great big heart. I am so thankful God placed us in the same family (I know, I know, we don't look like we have the same parents, but we do!).

Some sisters grow up together, side by side. Some sisters have the privilege of being twins, never knowing "apart". My sister and I have had to be deliberate about our friendship. She is eight and a half years my junior, and, as you can imagine, when she was finally old enough to play I had moved on. When she was going through her tumultuous teen years I was married, having children in quick succession, and living a continent away. Then she went to college, after which she came to live with us for several months. She was 20 and I was nearing 30. Now it's her that's in her late 20s and darn if we still do not share life's circumstances. God just did not ordain that we would go through the same things at the same time like some sisters are blessed to do. But throughout life, our hearts have been intertwined. Sisterhood is biological, but friendship is a choice. Like a stubborn little root that has taken hold in each of us, our friendship has developed almost in spite of things. Separate countries? No problem. Separate coasts? So what! Large difference in ages? Army, Air Force, children, career? Our lives could not be more different, and it just doesn't matter. My sister is special to me, and there is a part of my heart that only she can fill. Today I celebrate her, my little sister. Happy Birthday month, Honey!

5 comments:

Cup of Joe with three sugars said...

Steph,

Your post encouraged me to keep praying for that stubborn love connection that wants a friendship with your sis, no matter the stations in life. My Emily is sixteen years younger than I!!!! and we are seriously never in the same stage. Now we live right next door to each other and I cant get her to come over and spend time with us. (boyfriend is her life stage) I left a present the other day "just because" and I got a huge hug for that. I think the fact that she is running away from God and all things "religious" (her term) is making it difficult, but I, too, long for that friendship/sister relationship. Pray for us, if you think of it, and I will keep trying knowing that you and your sis have succeeded! Hugs!

Cherishing My Days said...

Jess, I will definitely pray for you and Emily! I remember meeting you at college and being blown away that at 20 you had a four year old sister. I can't imagine the difficulties in fostering a friendship when the age difference is double what Sylvia and I deal with! You are such a good witness, I'll pray Emily's heart will be softened through your example.

Cup of Joe with three sugars said...

Thanks, Steph. :o)

Shannon said...

Steph, the more I get to know you...it's scary! Our lives are really similar in some aspects!!! My sister and I are 8 years apart (I'm the oldie). We weren't closer until we were pregnant at the same time 7 years ago. I have to be deliberate as well. We are so different, but I do love my sis too! Yes, you guys look very different. My sis and I do not look alike either.

Cherishing My Days said...

So funny, Shannon! It really is amazing the similarities!