Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Garden Bounty

 Our first ever regular sized tomato (it is yellow when fully ripe).
 Cucumbers finally decided they wanted to grow something other than minute baby cukes that would die before they were an inch long.
 Tomatoes are coming in like gangbusters now. I have to stay ahead of the squirrels and birds, so I pick them when they have the slightest blush on them, so they usually are in varying stages of ripeness.
 Basil and our first cucumber. I picked the pickling variety because I have always found them to have more flavor. And BOY did it!
This salad was AWESOME. Best cucumber tomato salad I've ever had. I grew or made everything in this bowl, including the cheese!

On another note: My cooking through the Jerusalem cookbook has been derailed a bit by the fact that I have been concentrating on my weight loss. I'm at 24 lbs so far since April 11th. It needed to happen. I am doing what's called intermittent fasting. If you'd like to know more you can read here or here. I have made a few things in the cookbook but did not take pictures. I have just been concentrating on getting this one thing right--"do the next thing", if you will. So maybe soon I will be able to think about cookbooks. :)

2 comments:

Cup of Joe with three sugars said...

that salad looks fabulous!!! My garden is finally taking off. So looking forward to the fresh vegies. Two big bell peppers are ready and calling my name. Tomatoes shouldn't be far behind. Yumo!

Cherishing My Days said...

woo-hoo! This gardening thing is such a fun adventure!